As expected Sprint has announced their latest HTC flagship phone, the HTC EVO 4G LTE. Now we had expected it to retain the “One series” branding that HTC had decided to go with on their new devices, but I guess Sprint wanted to make sure everyone knew it was an EVO. The EVO 4G LTE will be running ICS out of the gate, and will also feature a dual-core Snapdragon S4,
a 4.7-inch Super LCD 2 screen, a 2,000 mAh battery, and of course LTE support. The EVO will also include micro SDcard and Google Wallet support, so all around it is a beast of a device. Hit the break for the full press release and specs. Source
- Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, integrated with Sense 4
- 4.7-inch HD super LCD display
- 1.5GHz Dual-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Processor
- Google Play offers more than 450,000 useful applications, widgets and games and lets you upload 20,000 of your songs to the cloud for free and stream them to your device
- Google+ Hangouts allowing video chat with a group of up to 10 friends
- Near Field Communication (NFC) technology, which allows the device to read information from everyday objects, like stickers and posters embedded with NFC chips
- Google Wallet enables the phone to be used like a wallet to make safe, secure purchases at hundreds of thousands of participating retailers using NFC
- Android Beam allows users to quickly share Web pages, apps and YouTube™ videos with friends using NFC by simply tapping phones together
- Google Mobile wireless services such as Google Search, Gmail, Google Maps with Navigation, Google Calendar, Voice Actions and YouTube
- Messaging – personal and business email and text messaging, as well as IM through Google Talk
- 3G/4G mobile hotspot capability, supporting up to 8 Wi-Fi enabled devices simultaneously
- Wifi – 802.11 a/b/g/n
- Advanced rear-facing 8-megapixel camera with f/2.0 lens, super-fast auto-focus, digital zoom and smart LED flash; HTC ImageSense to take great photos, in adverse conditions; front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera with 1080p video recording.
- Beats Audio enables customers to hear music the way the artist intended with unique audio tuning that delivers thundering bass, soaring midrange and crisp highs
- 3.5 mm headset jack
- Dimensions: 5.3 x 2.7 x 0.35 inches (LxWxT)
- Weight: 4.7 ounces
- Display: 4.7-inch HD 720p super LCD (1280 x 720), 16.7 million colors
- Battery: Imbedded 2000mAh Lithium Ion (Li-ion) battery
- Memory: 16GB internal memory (ROM); 1GB RAM; supports up to 32GB microSD card (sold separately)
HTC EVO 4G LTE, Exclusively from Sprint, First HD Voice-capable Smartphone Available in the U.S.;
Offers Best-in-Class Features, including Beats Audio,
Amazing Camera and HD Display
Next-generation EVO offers the ability to enjoy industry-leading features
without fear of overage charges or throttling with unlimited data plans
for new and existing Sprint customers
Available in Q2 for $199.99; Register for updates at www.sprint.com/evo4glte
NEW YORK – April 4, 2012 – Sprint (NYSE: S), the only national wireless carrier offering truly unlimited data for all phones while on the Sprint network1, and HTC, a global designer of smartphones, announce the next evolution of the award-winning HTC EVO™ family: HTC EVO™ 4G LTE. HTC EVO 4G LTE focuses on exceptional improvements in camera technology, audio and voice quality on both the network and device. HTC EVO 4G LTE will
be available in the second quarter for $199.99 (excludes taxes and surcharges). The availability date will be announced later. Customers can sign up for updates today at www.sprint.com/evo4glte, and pre-order will begin Monday, May 7, at www.sprint.com. HTC EVO 4G LTE is built on Android™ 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, integrated with HTC Sense™ 4. HTC EVO 4G LTE boasts brilliant features, including a vibrant 4.7-inch HD display, HD voice capabilities, 1.5GHz dual-core processor, large 2000mAh embedded battery and dual-cameras (8-megapixel rear-facing and 1.3-megapixel front-facing) with instant capture capability. HTC EVO 4G LTE brings back the fan-favorite kickstand built into the smartphone’s refined, slim design. With the launch of HTC EVO 4G LTE, Sprint becomes the first U.S. carrier to announce plans for a nationwide HD Voice network beginning in late 2012 as part of Sprint’s Network Vision program. HD Voice is the next-generation evolution of voice quality and the future of voice communications for mobile phones. The service will provide fuller, more natural-sounding and less fatiguing voice quality and should reduce troublesome background noises often found
in a cafe or on the street.2Users should expect to identify voices and hear every word better than ever. Sprint’s commitment to HD Voice starts with HTC EVO 4G LTE, Sprint’s first HD Voice capable device. “Sprint has a long history of leading the wireless industry in innovation, and the debut of HTC EVO 4G LTE marks another chapter in that innovation story,” said Sprint CEO Dan Hesse. “Once again, we are partnering with HTC to deliver the benchmark Android device for the year with the next generation of our award-winning EVO brand. We know our customers will appreciate the focus on audio and voice quality with EVO 4G LTE, including the addition of Beats Audio and HD Voice capability.” HTC EVO 4G LTE is Sprint’s first device with HTC’s Authentic Sound experience integrating Beats Audio™. The technology enables customers to hear music the way the artist intended with unique audio tuning that delivers thundering bass, soaring midrange and crisp highs. HTC EVO 4G LTE incorporates Beats Audio across the entire phone experience, including playing music stored on the device, streaming from a favorite service, watching a movie or YouTube™ video, or playing the latest hot game. HTC Sync Manager software also lets users easily get their music on the device from their PC, and it works with current programs, including iTunes®. “The partnership between HTC and Sprint has resulted in one of the most popular and successful smartphone brands of all time with over 7 million EVO devices sold to date,” said Jason Mackenzie, president, HTC Corporation. “With HTC EVO 4G LTE, we’ve created a desirable successor that is sure to excite the millions of current EVO customers and beyond with HTC’s distinct design, amazing camera and authentic sound.” ADVANCING SMARTPHONE PHOTOGRAPHY HTC EVO 4G LTE makes mobile photography and video easy and intuitive.
- The on-screen photo and video buttons are right next to each other so users don’t have to switch modes. This allows the user to take video and still photos concurrently.
- It makes the whole idea of “video mode” or “photo mode” irrelevant. While shooting a video, the user can just tap the shutter button and it captures a still image of that exact moment. Still images can also be captured during video playback.
- HTC EVO 4G LTE’s camera has a super-fast start-up and auto-focus time. With the fast auto-focus, users can easily stay with a moving object or person, taking numerous pictures just by holding the shutter button.
In addition, HTC ImageSense™ technology combines hardware and software advancements to the camera lens, sensor and software, including integration of a new custom HTC ImageChip, to take great photos even in adverse conditions. The best-in-class f/2.0 camera lens lets in 44 percent more light than the lenses used on most camera phones. The Smart Flash also adjusts the flash strength based on how far away the object is, so users won’t get photos where everything looks washed out. REFINED STYLE AND DESIGN Crafted from aluminum spaceframe in an anodized black finish, HTC EVO 4G LTE delivers cutting-edge function and style in a thin and distinctive design. The smartphone’s 4.7-inch display and 80-degree viewing angle makes it easier to share pictures and video with others. The multiposition kickstand allows users to watch videos hands-free. HTC EVO 4G LTE customers can enjoy an unlimited data experience with Sprint Everything Data plans. Sprint’s Everything Data plan with Any Mobile, AnytimeSM includes unlimited Web, texting and calling to and from any mobile in America while on the Sprint Network, starting at just $79.99 per month for smartphones3 – a savings of $40 per month vs. Verizon’s comparable plan with unlimited talk, text and 2GB Web, or $10 per month savings vs. Verizon’s 450-minute plan with unlimited text and 2GB Web. Sprint recently announced Atlanta, Baltimore, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City and San Antonio are expected to have 4G LTE and enhanced 3G service in mid-year 2012. Sprint 4G LTE will enable faster speeds for data applications, and the enhanced 3G service promises better signal strength, faster data speeds, expanded coverage and better in-building performance. The launch of these large metropolitan areas demonstrates the continued commitment by Sprint to invest in its network through Network Vision. Sprint customers in these areas will soon enjoy ultra-fast data speeds and improved 3G voice quality. Whether a Sprint customer is using a smartphone to share a video, checking the Web via a mobile hotspot, Sprint 4G LTE will make it easier. And, when someone makes an important voice call, they can expect to find a clearer connection and a stronger signal in more areas. For the most up-to-date details on Sprint’s 4G LTE rollout, please visitwww.sprint.com/4GLTE. About Sprint Nextel Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel served more than 55 million customers at the end of 2011 and is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including the first wireless 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; offering industry-leading mobile data services, leading prepaid brands including Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. Newsweek ranked Sprint No. 3 in its 2011 Green Rankings, listing it as one of the nation’s greenest companies, the highest of any telecommunications company. You can learn more and visit Sprint atwww.sprint.com or www.facebook.com/sprint and www.twitter.com/sprint. About HTC Founded in 1997, HTC Corporation (HTC) is the creator of many award-winning mobile devices and industry firsts. By putting people at the center of everything it does, HTC pushes the boundaries of design and technology to create innovative and personal experiences for consumers around the globe. HTC’s portfolio includes smartphones and tablets powered by HTC Sense™, a multilayered graphical user interface that vastly improves user experience. HTC is listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange (TWSE: 2498). For more information, please visit www.htc.com. Visit the Image Gallery in the Sprint Newsroom, www.sprint.com/newswroom, for more information and images.